The data comes from the agency’s Residential Energy Consumption Survey (RECS), which has been conducted periodically since the 1970s to understand American energy use. The 2015 survey included 5,600 respondents who were contacted in person and then given an option to follow up by mail or online. A fine-detail report on the survey results is due to be released in April 2017.
The latest data shows that in 2015, 2.6 percent of households had no TV at all, a jump from the previous four surveys in 2009, 2005, 2001, and 1997 in which a steady 1.2 to 1.3 percent of households didn’t own a TV. The 2015 data also showed that the number of people with three TVs or more dropped in 2015. That year, 39 percent of households had more than three TVs, whereas 44 percent had more than three TVs in 2009.
Interestingly, the number of households with one or two TVs increased in 2015 to 58 percent, from 54 percent in 2009.
The EIA doesn’t go into what has caused this shift, but it does note that “younger households tend to have a lower concentration of televisions per person and a higher concentration of portable devices such as laptops and smartphones. Older households are more likely to have higher concentrations of desktop computers.” (Anecdotally, the Ars staff seems to agree that having one or two really nice TVs for family viewing as well as auxiliary devices for streamed media is preferable to having several just-okay TVs.)
The government surveys TV use because it’s a component of a household’s overall energy consumption. According to the EIA, about 6 percent of all electricity consumption in US homes comes from TVs, cable boxes, DVRs, video game consoles, and other peripheral equipment.
As TVs get bigger and higher in resolution, they can demand a lot more electricity, too. Last September, the Natural Resources Defense Council hired a third-party research firm to study TV energy use and found that several TV manufacturers were building their TVs to narrowly pass federal energy use tests, while consuming much more electricity if any of the TVs’ baseline settings were changed.
When the exclusion zone was set up almost exactly 6 years ago this week – with the surrounding towns population evacuated to a safe distance – The Mirror reports that hundreds of the wild boars, which have been known to attack people when enraged, descended from surrounding hills and forests into the deserted streets.
Now they roam the empty streets and overgrown garden’s of Japan’s deserted seaside town of Namie, foraging for food.
However, the people of Namie are scheduled to return to the town at the end of the month, which means the bloody-toothed interlopers have to be cleared.
“It is not really clear now which is the master of the town, people or wild boars,” said Tamotsu Baba, mayor of the town.
“If we don’t get rid of them and turn this into a human-led town, the situation will get even wilder and uninhabitable.”
Reuters reports that more than half of Namie’s former 21,500 residents have decided not to return and face the wild boars, however, a government survey showed last year, citing concerns over radiation and the safety of the nuclear plant, which is being decommissioned.
Wild boar meat is a delicacy in northern Japan, but animals slaughtered since the disaster are too contaminated to eat. According to tests conducted by the Japanese government, some of the boars have shown levels of radioactive element caesium-137 that are 300 times higher than safety standards.
Authorities in the town of Tomioka say they’ve killed 800 so far, but officials there say that’s not enough, according to Japanese media. The latest statistics show that in the three years since 2011, the number of boars killed in hunts has grown to 13,000 from 3,000.
But at town meetings earlier this year to prepare for the homecoming, residents had voiced worries about the wild boars.
“I’m sure officials at all levels are giving some thought to this,” said Hidezo Sato, a former seed merchant in Namie. “Something must be done.”
Why not send in some robots? Oh wait you tried that!
War On Dissenters, You Can Only Get Big Gov’s Propaganda And Their Fake News?
Aaron and Melissa Dykes are truth researchers, truth journalists and truth filmmakers. Their excellent website Truthstreammedia.com and You Tube channel by the same name are two must visit destination for anyone who wants to be informed about the REAL issues we face. Truthstreammedia is the antithesis to the “fake news” you’ll get from CNN and mainstream media outlets.
TOPICS INCLUDED IN THIS TALK: Shadows of power the CFR, unmasking the Zionist World Order, Israel, false flags and their role, war on fake news, censorship, population control, ww3, geoengineering and weather derivative business of the elite, Rothschild/Israel Nuke connection, geopolitics, current state of USA, Trump, biggest threat to the USA?, elite control both sides, is their an awakening?, Albert Pike’s three world wars, are we close to revolution, race war/civil war here in America?, post election outlook and MUCH more!
Twenty-five years after publication of The Shadows of Power, James Perloff returns to the venue of political history, and takes you where the mass media won’t.
* Who benefited from the mysterious sinking of the USS Maine?
* Why did President Woodrow Wilson order the manifest of the torpedoed Lusitania hidden in the archives of the U.S. Treasury?
* After the official inquiry into the Pearl Harbor attack, why did Admiral Kimmel and General Short – the commanders at Pearl Harbor – want to be court-martialed?
* Why was the Soviet Union given control of North Korea after World War II, when the Soviets did nothing to win the war in the Pacific?
* What did Congressional Medal of Honor recipient James Stockdale reveal about Tonkin Gulf (the event used to justify intervention in Vietnam)?
* How did “Operation Rockingham” lead America into the Iraq war?
* Since its founding in 1921, what small organization has produced 21 Secretaries of Defense/War, 19 Treasury Secretaries, 18 Secretaries of State, and 16 CIA directors?
* How did Jimmy Carter go from a generally unknown figure to Presidential nominee in just seven months?
* Why has America had decades of destructive inflation (understated recently by the Consumer Price Index), when there was zero NET inflation from the days of the Pilgrims until the early 20th century?
* Why did the Vietnam War last 14 years – and end in defeat – when it took us only 3 and ½ years to win World War II?
* What did the head of the Ford Foundation tell Congressional investigator Norman Dodd that made him “nearly fall off the chair”?
* Is it possible that many kings and other monarchs of past centuries were not as evil as they’ve been portrayed?
* What American capitalists were given landing rights for their private jets in Moscow – at the height of the Cold War?
* What KGB defector predicted glasnost five years in advance – yet was ignored by the major media?
* Who is at the top of the pyramid on the back of the dollar bill?
* Why was the USS Liberty attacked in 1967, and why was there no Congressional investigation?
* The official explanation of 9-11 – where do we BEGIN to name the holes?
* Were the Beatles a set-up?
* Who financed ecumenism and the decline of Christian faith?
* What are world elitists saying about population control?
* What are courageous doctors revealing about vaccines that the major media won’t report?
* Does weather control go beyond seeding clouds? What is behind the recent spike in weather disasters?
* How did the Establishment trick conservatives into supporting its “free trade” agenda, destroying millions of U.S. jobs?
* Who’s pouring billions of dollars into the “green” movement?
* 1984 – the amazing ways in which Orwell got the future right.
* And how does ALL this tie together?
If you are one of those who senses that something just isn’t right with the explanations we are given for wars, our dying economy, and other world events, this book may be just right for you. Countless lies have been planted in the corporate-controlled media to benefit the rich and the few; these lies have become “fact” through the mechanism of frequent repetition. Refuting such lies with credibility requires in-depth analysis. Therefore, beware of reviews of this book which attempt to debunk it by pulling a sentence or idea out of context. Read the book for yourself.
Truth Is a Lonely Warrior is a ticket to de-brainwashing.
341 Pages. Fully indexed. This book is also available for instant download in a Kindle edition with many hyperlinks that can be clicked to access supporting material. Learn More
The author’s website is jamesperloff.com